Skip to content


The Journal of Headache and Pain

Official Journal of the "European Headache Federation" and of "Lifting The Burden - The Global Campaign against Headache"

The Journal of Headache and Pain Cover Image

Volume 16 Supplement 1

1st Joint ANIRCEF-SISC Congress

Open Access

O016. Does migraine follow benign paroxysmal torticollis?

  • Maria Chiara Bernucci1,
  • Roberto Frusciante1,
  • Alessandro Capuano1,
  • Samuela Tarantino1,
  • Federico Vigevano1 and
  • Massimiliano Valeriani1, 2Email author
The Journal of Headache and Pain201516(Suppl 1):A143

Published: 28 September 2015


Public HealthInternal MedicineInformed ConsentMigraineClinical Condition


Migraine equivalents are clinical conditions which often involve children who do not complain of headache. They include abdominal migraine, motion sickness, limb pain, cyclical vomiting, benign paroxysmal vertigo, and benign paroxysmal torticollis (BPT). The aim of our study was to investigate whether children referred to us for BPT have developed migraine at a distance from our first observation.


Forty-one children were included in the study. Only 36 families could be contacted by phone, but 2 of them refused to answer our questionnaire. Therefore, the present results were obtained from 34 children (22 girls and 12 boys).


Migraine could be diagnosed in 14 children (41%), while the remaining 20 patients (59%) did not complain of headache. At the moment of our interview, children who had developed migraine had a mean age of 5 years, while the mean age of non-migrainous children was 3.5 years. Among migraine children, 43% developed it when they were 4 years, 21% at the age of 3, and 14% when they were 7 years old. The last three migraineurs developed migraine at the age of 5 years, 13 years and 18 months, respectively. Moreover, 55% of patients had developed other migraine equivalents. In particular, 73% children had abdominal migraine, 55% vertigo, 45% limb pain, 27% motion sickness, 27% cyclical vomiting. As for the paroxysmal torticollis time course, two children have had only one event, one child had been still presenting episodes of torticollis, while in the remaining patients the torticollis events had not occurred for some years.


Our findings suggest that migraine follows BPT in approximately half of the children within the age of 13 years. Moreover, BPT is often associated to other migraine equivalents. Considered all together, all these periodic syndromes increase the risk of developing migraine.

Written informed consent to publish was obtained from the patient(s).

Authors’ Affiliations

Headache Centre, Ospedale Bambino Gesù, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Center for Sensory-Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark


© Bernucci et al. 2015

This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver ( applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.


By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms and Community Guidelines. If you find something abusive or that does not comply with our terms or guidelines please flag it as inappropriate. Please note that comments may be removed without notice if they are flagged by another user or do not comply with our community guidelines.